Our latest sketch

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Radio>TV>Radio?

There's a longstanding progression route in comedy that includes a leap from radio to TV. Just like the "Fawlty Towers two series" rule, it's seems to be an immutable law with familiar examples trotted out from Hitch Hiker's Guide to Little Britain.

Mitchell and Webb are currently bucking that trend. After three TV series, they've not written off the radio version, which is back on Radio 4 for a new series. That pleases me, as I think they work well - and differently - in both media. I'd love to see it to inspire other comedians to give radio another go without seeing it as step back. In particular, much as I love the Mighty Boosh on TV, there were some moments of fantasy on the radio show that they've never reached since. I'm talking about you, Tommy Nookah.


No comments: